Saturday, November 2, 2013

On My Own

Saturday Nov. 2, 2013

I have a new appreciation for single mom's...especially for single mom's of twins.  As anyone will say if you ask them about me, when I put my mind to something I get 'er done...but man, being a single mom has been a new challenge for me.
     For the first 3 weeks my mom stayed pretty much 24 hours a day at my house.  She was (and is)  a blessing.  During the day, when you are awake, feedings, diaper changes, and taking care of the girls is fairly easy.  Night shifts are the killer.  It was nice having Mom here so when the girls woke up at 3am for their feeding, she would change them, while I got their bottles ready.
     Now I am on my own.  Day two of being on my own and I am still alive :).  I have the girls set up in the bedroom (which is a nice change from sleeping on the couch in the living room for the last three weeks).  The girls have had a pretty consistent feeding schedule.  They usually have a 9pm feeding or so, then around midnight...those shifts aren't too bad.  The 4 am shift is the brutal one.  Your body had finally broke down and is trying to grasp any ounce of sleep you can get and you have to force yourself awake again to feed to screaming babies.  Surround sound screaming babies is a little hard on the ears :(.
     The girls are 3 weeks, 3 days old so I know things will get easier as time goes on. As much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my girls, this is not my favorite stage .
    The next feeding is at 11:15 am and Adelyn woke up around 10 am wanting attention.  I have to say how precious it feels to hold your child against your chest.  Adelyn and I had some bonding time and finally I put her in the Baby Bjorn and she fell asleep against my chest.  The new baby smell is filling the air around me as I can feel her chest against mine and her warm breath breathing on me.  I am so thankful for my girls and I so appreciate these little moments that I know will be gone all too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment